San Miguel Mission 401 Old Santa Fe Trail Santa Fe, NM 505-983-3974 OLDEST CHURCH IN THE USA: BUILT IN 1626. 16th Century Animal Hide Paintings. 18th Century Wooden Altar Screen. There may be a charge of $1 – Donations are always welcome. Mission Gift Shop same hours Hours: Church & Gift Shop: Mon — Sat: 9am to 5pm Sunday: 10am to 4pm MASS: Sunday at 5pm.
St. Francis Cathedral One block east of the Plaza Santa Fe, NM 505-982-5619 HOURS:Side doors open daily 6-6, Sunday 7-7 Weekday mass: 7am & 5:15pm Saturday mass: 7am & 5:15pm Sunday Mass: 8am (Spanish) & 10am & Noon & 7pm HOLY DAYS: 7am, 10am, 12:10, 5:15pm Tour Guides available in the Cathedral. The Saint Francis Cathedral, dedicated in 1886, is a mixture of three architectural styles. Adobe, French – Romanesque, and Modern. Adobe because connected to the main structure is the Conquistadora Chapel which was built in 1714 and houses La Conquistadora, Our Lady of Conquering Love, the country’s oldest Madonna (1625). French -Romanesque because the main structure was commissioned by Archbishop Lamy, Santa Fe’s first archbishop who was from France and whose crypt lays within the cathedral, and Modern because of the 1967 addition of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel. The Cathedral is dedicated to Saint Francis of Assisi, patron saint of Santa Fe. Franciscan Friars presently staff the Cathedral Parish. The many stunning stained glass windows were imported from France. Stone for the building was imported from 15 miles away in what is now Lamy, New Mexico.
Lady of Guadalupe 505-988-2027, 100 Guadalupe Santa Fe Beautiful Old Church built in 1795 The Santa Fe Desert Chorale performs here. HOURS – 9-4, Monday-Friday (OPEN SAT. IN SUMMER) (May be open later during summer) CLOSED: Saturday & Sunday Nov.-Apr.
Loretto Chapel 219 Old Santa Fe Trail Santa Fe, NM 505-982-0092 Open winter: 9-4:30 Mon-Sat; 10:30-4:30 Sunday (Oct – May) Open summer: 9-5 Mon-Sat, 10:30-5 Sunday (May – Oct) May close any time for weddings or funerals ADMISSION: $2/person Children under 6 FREE PHOTOS: OK. Construction of the Loretto Chapel was completed in 1882. Bishop Lamy who was French, commissioned a strictly Gothic design. The first Gothic structure west of the Mississippi is 25 feet by 75 and reaches a height of 85 feet. When the building was almost finished someone noticed that while the chapel was beautiful, as was the choir loft, there was no way to get from one to other. The sisters summonded carpenter after carpenter who told them that a 21 foot staircase in such a small space could simply not be built. Why not tear down the choir loft and begin again, both a daunting and heartbreaking task The sisters began to pray to Saint Joseph In answer a grey haired man with a donkey and tool chest came to the convent and asked if he might have a try at building what would be known as the Miraculous Staircase. When the work was complete the man simply disappeared as suddenly as he appeared and couldn’t be found to accept any pay for the job. Nor was there any charges for lumber at the local lumber yard. The photograph to the right is reprinted from the Saint Joseph Magazine April 1960. The Miraculous Staircase has 33 steps and makes two complete turns of 360°. The staircase, unlike every other spiral staircase in the world, has no center support and no one can really explain how the thing stands up and bears weight. Wooden pegs, rather than nails, were used. The sisters remember the old carpenter using only hammer, saw and T square. They also remember pieces of wood soaking in tubs of water Nobody has actually pinned down exactly where the wood in the structure came from. The wood is not native to New Mexico. Who actually built the Miraculous Staircase? Some people think it was St. Joseph himself.
Santuario de Chimayo built between l8l4 and l8l6, the sanctuary is an active church with regular mass celebrations. The sanctuary has also gained importance for the healing powers that many have experienced from the sanctuaries holy water and earthen dirt. Visiting Hours: October – April: 9:00 AM – 4:00 PM, June – September: 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Weekly Mass:June – September: 11:00 AM Daily, October – May: 7:00 AM, Sunday Mass: 12:00 Noon. www.archdiocesesantafe.org
Santa Fe Plaza The historic Santa Fe Plaza, just two blocks from Inn of the Governors, serves as the heart of Santa Fe and often sets the rhythm of the town’s pulse. The Plaza has been the social and economic center of the city established in the winter of 1609-10; traders and travelers knew it as the terminus of the Santa Fe Trail.
On the north side of the Plaza stands the Palace of the Governors. It was built in 1610 and has witnessed first-hand much of New Mexico’s colorful history. As the oldest public building in the United States, the Palace is the history museum of the State of New Mexico. Today, along the south side of the Palace of the Governors, Native American artists and craftspeople sell their handmade goods to tourists and local Santa Feans almost every day of the year, rain or shine. The 900+ vendors represent forty-one tribes, pueblos, chapters and villages in New Mexico, the Navajo Nation, and parts of Arizona.
The other three sides feature a wide variety of Santa Fe style shops, galleries and restaurants. Historically the Plaza has been a place to gather, glimpse the vibrant daily comings and goings and of course, people watch.
Annually, the Plaza hosts the Indian and Spanish Markets in addition to numerous other events and free concerts during the year. We invite you to walk from Inn of the Governors to the plaza to take in a tour, this rich heritage and some shopping.
El Rancho de las Golondrinas, a living history museum. The museum is located on 200 acres in a rural farming valley just south of Santa Fe. Opened as a museum in 1972, the original colonial buildings on the site date from the early 18th century. Historic buildings from other parts of northern New Mexico have been reconstructed at Las Golondrinas to create a rich community and to offer a unique perspective on the life and culture of this important settlement period. Villagers, volunteers dressed in period clothing, greet visitors at various exhibits throughout the museum and show how life was lived in early New Mexico. NM 599 (Santa Fe Bypass) to West Frontage Road. Then, take a right on Los Pinos Road and follow for 3.2 miles to the Museum. Hours Wednesday through Sunday 10 am – 4 pm, June through September. 505.471.2261 www.golondrinas.org
Sena Plaza northeast corner of the plaza; originally a Spanish hacienda completed in 1867, this is now a collection of small shops, galleries, and a restaurant. Much like the Palace of the Governors, this is an excellent example of how the practicalities of the plaza design were even incorporated into larger private homes.
Bandelier National Monument 505-672-3861 Go to St. Francis Drive North (which is also 285/84). Head North. At Pojoaque take Los Alamos Exit (Hwy 502) to the left. Follow 502 to Hwy 4 (San Ildefonso Pueblo will be on the right before Hwy 4). Turn left on Hwy 4 and follow it until you reach Bandelier Ancient Cliff Dwellings Admission: $10 per private car TRAILS ARE ALWAYS OPEN DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS NO PETS ALLOWED ON TRAILS SNACK BAR OPEN YEAR ROUND, HOURS VARY RANGER TOURS: AS STAFFING ALLOWS Open every day except Christmas & New Year’s Day. Visitor Center: Winter 8-4:30pm Spring & Fall 9-5:30pm Summer 8-6pm.
Trails & Ancient Cliff Dwellings Hours – Open every day except Christmas & New Year’s Day Visitor Center: Winter 8- 4:30pm Spring & Fall 9-5:30pm Summer 8-6pm. Admission: $10 per private car TRAILS ARE ALWAYS OPEN DURING DAYLIGHT HOURS NO PETS ALLOWED ON TRAILS SNACK BAR OPEN YEAR ROUND, HOURS VARY RANGER TOURS: AS STAFFING ALLOWS. Go to St. Francis Drive North (which is also 285/84). Head North. At Pojoaque take Los Alamos Exit (Hwy 502) to the left. Follow 502 to Hwy 4 (San Ildefonso Pueblo will be on the right before Hwy 4). Turn left on Hwy 4 and follow it until you reach Bandelier.
Chaco Canyon National Park 505-786-7014 Ancient Anasazi ruins, artifacts, petroglyphs, hiking and camping. Hours – Visitor Center: 8am-6pm Daily (Winter 8-5) May be closed Christmas and New Year’s Day. Entrance Fee: $8 per car. No services in park. Leave Espanola on Highway NM 84, go past Abiquiu, look for Hwy 96 on left. Take 96 to NM 44, go right on 44 towards Nageezi. Just before Nageezi turn left on County Rd. 7900 (Paved for 5 miles) Turn right on County Rd. 7950 (dirt road)…4-wheel drive vehicle advised in winter or in rain.
Cross of the Martyrs Situated high on a hilltop overlooking Santa Fe, with access, up the steps from Paseo de Peralta, near Otero Street, or, by car, you may drive to the top via Artist’s Road. Erected in honor of 21 Franciscan priests killed during the Pueblo Revolt in 1680.
Cumbres & Toltec Scenic Railroad 800-286-2737 Hours: Memorial Day to Mid October. Chama Depot. . . .756-2151, Antonito Depot. . 719-376-5483, Trips form Chama, NM, to Antonito, Colorado, and back. Historic trip through the San Juan Mountains.
D.H. Lawrence House 505-776-2245 D.H. Lawrence (1885-1930) New Mexico summer home and memorial of one of the most original and controversial British writers of the 20th century.
ADMISSION: FREE, 12 MONTHS A YEAR OPEN TO THE PUBLIC FOR VISITS TO THE MEMORIAL ONLY. Take Hwy 522 10 miles north of Taos. Look for the 10 mile marker on the right at San Cristobal, follow the road and signs for a few miles to the house. THIS IS A DIRT ROAD!
Eaves Movie Ranch 505-474-3045 Call year round for planning, Specializing in large groups HOURS: Call to check public tour schedule. GO SOUTH ON HWY. 14 (TURQUOISE TRAIL) TO COUNTY ROAD #45, TURN RIGHT, TURN LEFT ON RANCHO ALLEGRO RD. GO 1 MILE.
Embudo Station & Brewery 800-852-4707 Barbeque, American and Northern New Mexican Reservations taken, Credit cards Visa/MC/AE BREWS BEER & SERVES NEW MEXICO WINE (Check out the chili beer) Smoking on pato Outdoor dining 12 Noon – 9:00 Tues.-Sun. CLOSED: MON. CLOSED: from Nov-Apr May be open from Nov.-Apr. on Fri. Sat. & Sun. CALL!!!! 41 Miles north of Santa Fe on the low road to Taos, Highway 68,a few miles after Velarde on the left on the banks of the Rio Grande.
Fechin Institute 505-758-2690, 227 Paseo del Pueblo Norte Taos. 10:00-4:00 Wed.-Sat. 12:30-4pm Sun. Closed Mon. & Tues. HOURS VARY Extended Summer hours. Call first.. Old adobe home of Russian-American artist Nicholai Fechin. Remarkable hand carved furniture and wonderfully expressive paintings and drawings Periodic special exhibits and art workshops Workshops: Call 776-2622 Admission: by donation encouraged.
Georgia O’Keeffe House & Museum 505-685-4539 TOURS from March 15 – November 22, 2005 TOURS will be scheduled by APPOINTMENT ONLY (scheduling begins in January)
Book early: Tours of the O’Keeffe house are often booked- up months in advance. Hours- MARCH – NOVEMBER. Tues., Thurs. and Friday 9:30am, 11am, 2pm, 3:30pm Take NM 84 from Espanola North to Abiquiu. Office next to Abiquiu Inn.
Governor Bent House & Museum 117 Bent Street Taos. Charles Bent died at this sight on Bent St. in 1847 during a general uprising of Native Americans and Hispanics.He was chosen Governor of New Mexico 1n 1846 following the Mexican American war. HOURS – 10-5 daily. COST: $2 Adults, $1 Children 8-15 years old.
Kit Carson Home & Museum 505-758-0505 Kit Carson Road Taos The home of legendary scout, Kit Carson, is filled with mountain man relics and period appointments. HOURS – 9-5 daily (winter), 8-6 daily (summer) COST: $5 Adults, Children under 16 free with adults Kit Carson Road one-half block from Taos Plaza.
Palace of the Governors 505-827-6474, 105 W. Palace Santa Fe Outside the Palace under the portal Native Americans offer jewlelry and pottery for sale. Inside find representations of New Mexico life as well pre-Columbian artifacts dating back to 1500 BC. EXCELLENT GIFT SHOP…982-3016 TAKES VISA & MASTERCARD HISTORICAL WALKING TOURS available May 1 – October 31 10am Monday – Saturday ( No Sunday) $10 per person (Free for youth under 17 wth adult) Meet at Blue gate on Lincoln No Reservations necessary Tour takes about 1 1/2 hours ADMISSION: $5 ONE VISIT, ONE MUSEUM $10 4 DAYS, 4 MUSEUMS CHILDREN UNDER 17 FREE FREE ADMISSION Friday From 5PM-8PM See Palace of the Governors website HOURS – Tue-Sun 10-5 CLOSED MONDAY Open late Fridays til 8pm North side of the Plaza
Puye Cliff Dwellings 505-753-7326 The Puye Cliff Dwellings are a fascinating look at early Native American sites. ADMISSION: $5 Adults (include. still camera, $15 for video or sketching) $4 Seniors & Children Camping nearby in the the Santa Clara Canyon Adminstered by the Santa Clara Pueblo 8 or 9am to 6pm or as late as 8pm in Summer CLOSES AS EARLY AS 4PM IN THE WINTER Take St. Francis (285/84 North) past Pojoaque to Los Alamos exit, NM 502. Follow 502, turn right on NM 30, look for sign on left for Puye, follow road for about 7 miles to Cliff Dwellings. From this area, looking east, you may also see Black Mesa, important ancient site.
Rt. 66, constructed in 1926, it was originally slated to run through Santa Fe, but for polical reasons was directed around the city. A picturesque drive with shops and restaurants along the route. Visit for a full map www.rt66nm.org.
Old Santa Fe Trail From Kansas City Missouri to Santa Fe, New Mexico, the Santa Fe Trail was a trading route used by fur and goods traders who braved the perilous trail in wagon caravans selling trading their goods at outposts along the way. Visit the end of the Santa Fe Trail on the Santa Fe Plaza.